Sunday, September 21, 2008

Kokopelli St. George Tri




Julie and I both competed in the Kokopelli St. George triathlon yesteray at Sand Hollow reservoir. Julie did the sprint, 750meter swim, 20K bike, and 5K run. I did the Olympic version, 1.5K swim, 40K bike, and 10 K run. I was scheduled to start first at 7:38 and Julie at 8:17. My goal was to beat her across the finish line and I did, but just barely. She did really well. To start, the water was really great, warm & clear, you could see to the bottom! We swam the same course, Olympic-distance athletes doing two laps, I swam without a wet suit for :40. My transition time, or T1, was uber fast! I was on the bike and on my way in less than two minutes. Unfortunately, less than a mile later I was sliding across the asphalt on my leg & elbow at 30MPH! Coming out of T1, it was a long sloping hill, I had a lotta momentum from all my table muscle so I was cruising, and there was a sharp turn, two guys ahead of me doin the same speed... didn't see it coming but we all three went down trying to make the sharp turn. THIS IS WHY BIKERS SHAVE THEIR LEGS!! The cleansing & healing process is brutal, it hurts SO bad! Anyway, I jumped on my bike and sped off. The adrenaline kept the leg & elbow numb, but I'd torn muscles in my left shoulder and to get down on the aero bars hurt, so I took turns on the hoods and on the aero bars. I really killed the bike, there was a steep 6% grade at mile 2 that lasted for a mile. I was so mad about falling down that I was able to really hustle up that hill and all the way thru the bike course. On the bike course alone I was in the top 10 in my division, males 30-34, not including elite athletes. Coming back down that big hill, doing about 35MPH, I saw Julie going up. I was glad cuz I was nervous she might give up on the swim. Another uber fast transition time, less than 2:00, and onto the run. The run was in the sand which REALLY sucked for two reasons. First, your feet sink and your legs already feel like rubber. Second, I swear sand emits more heat than asphalt. I ran the same course as Julie, doing two laps in :56. Not thrilled with my run time, but not really disappointed either, just because of the sand. I crossed the finish line and the pain set in. About 15 minutes later Julie finished with a LOT of noise from her fam!! My total time was 3:01 and Julie's was 2:24 (I think). It was a good time and we're both ready for the next one. Two weeks from yesterday is the St. George marathon, aiming for a finish time of about 3:30.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Congrats to both of you! Hope you can heal up in time for the next one. Did I ever tell you that you are turbo?!

Trenton Harris said...

Thanks Amy! Yes you did... lots of free time, that's all I'm gonna say. Julie says she wants to run a 5K or something with ya.

lovejoys said...

You guys are awesome. I am so proud of Julie (well and you too T Dawg but since this is Julie's first one, well you know). She did really well. I can't figure out how you run in sand when you just finished a bike and a swim. That would kill so bad. Did I ever tell you that you were turbo either?

Joyce

Trenton Harris said...

Thanks Joyce! I'm so proud of her as well... such a trooper!! She caught the bug too, she wants to train over the winter and get better at these. That would be so fun to come to MN and compete with the two of you!